Event Schedule 2003
The Fukuoka Prize 2003 Award ceremony
- September 18, 2003 (14:00 - 16:15)
- Fukuoka International Congress Center Main Hall
The Prize Presentation Ceremony for the 14th Fukuoka Asian Culture Prizes 2003 began with attendance by approximately 1,000 people, including Her Imperial Highness Princess Akishino, representatives from the embassies of the laureates' countries, exchange students in Fukuoka, guests from international exchange organizations, business circles, universities, and local organizations as well as the citizens of Fukuoka City.
Following an introduction of the laureates' profiles on a video screen, the organizing committee presented the laureates with their prizes. Congratulatory addresses were made by guests, H. E. Mine Yoshiki, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary from Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and Mr. Aso Wataru, Governor of Fukuoka Prefecture praising the laureates' contributions. Each of the laureates then expressed their joy upon receiving the prizes in their acceptance speeches and shared their views with the citizens of Fukuoka City. A special music performance by "BEGIN," the Okinawan music band added an extra touch to the ceremony.
Public Lecture by HOKAMA Shuzen
- The Future of Okinawa through the Lens of Okinawan Studies
- September 20, 2003 (14:00 - 16:00)
- ACROS Fukuoka Event Hall
- Professor Matsumoto Hirotake (Faculty of Letters, Chiba University)
- Mr. Matayoshi Eiki (Writer) *
- Professor Hateruma Eikichi (Affiliated Research Institute of Okinawa Prefectural University of Arts)
- Professor Tajiri Eizo (Faculty of Economics, Ryukoku University)
* Mr. Matayoshi was unable to attend due to a typhoon.
Public Lecture by Prof. Hokama Shuzen was held in ACROS FUKUOKA on September 20, and he introduced his idea and thought on his specialized field in his lecture.
Public Lecture by Reynaldo C. ILETO
- The Politics of Memory in the Shadow of Empire
- September 21, 2003 (13:00 - 15:30)
- ACROS Fukuoka Event Hall
- Professor Ikehata Setsuho (President, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies)
- Professor Arima Manabu (Graduate School of Social and Cultural Studies, Kyushu University)
- Professor Shimizu Hiromu (Graduate School of Social and Cultural Studies, Kyushu University)
Public Lecture by Prof. Reynaldo C. Ileto was held in ACROS FUKUOKA on September 21, and he introduced his idea and thought on his specialized field in his lecture talks with panelists.
Public Lecture by XU Bing
- Xu Bing, Letters from the Sky
- September 21, 2003 (16:00 - 17:30)
- Sculpture Lounge, Fukuoka Asian Art Museum
- Mr. Yasunaga Koichi (Director, Fukuoka Asian Art Museum)
Public Lecture by Mr. XU Bing was held in Fukuoka Asian Art Museum on September 21, and he introduced his idea and thought on his specialized field special performance.
Public Lecture by Dick LEE
- As Musical Journey in Search of My Asian Identity
- September 20 (18:00 - 20:00)
- IMS Hall
- James Tengan (LOVE-FM AJ)
- Professor Fujii Tomoaki (Chubu Institute for Advanced Studies)
Public Lecture by Mr. Dick LEE was held in IMS Hall on September 20, and he introduced his idea and thought on his specialized field special performance.。