Event Schedule 2009
The Fukuoka Prize 2009 Award ceremony
- September 17, 2009 (18:20-20:00)
- Fukuoka International Congress Center
- Eriko Kusuta
Their Imperial Highnesses Prince and Princess Akishino attended the award ceremony, joining an audience of about 1,000 citizens, foreign students and people in cultural fields in celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Prize.
The laureates were ushered in by students from Chikushi Jogakuen University, dressed in kimono. After citations and medals were presented by Mayor Hiroshi Yoshida of the Fukuoka City and Michisada Kamata, Chairman of the Yokatopia Foundation, each recipient gave a speech expressing his joy, with messages to Fukuoka citizens. Students from Fukuoka International School then handed them bouquets.
In the second part of the event, MC Eriko Kusuta talked with the laureates, filling the hall with laughter as they talked of episodes from childhood, the fascination of Japanese culture and thoughts on Asian culture. After the talk, a student at Seinan Gakuin University delivered a congratulatory message on behalf of the citizens. In closing, opera singer Ruri Usami performed Wakahime, one of Minoru Miki’s best-known works.
Public Lecture by Augustin BERQUE
- Fudo and Japan: towards a Global Perspective
- September 19, 2009 (13:30-15:30)
- IMS Hall
- Mr. Hideki Nozawa (Professor Emeritus, Kyushu University)
- Mr. Yoshiaki Ishizawa (President, Sophia University)
After his keynote speech, Professor Berque presented a number of thought-provoking observations dealing with fudo, based in part on his life in Japan for fteen years, in a discussion session with Hideki Nozawa, Professor Emeritus of Kyushu University, coordinated by Yoshiaki Ishizawa, President of Sophia University.
Public Lecture by Partha CHATTERJEE
- Voicing the History of the Voiceless
- September 20, 2009 (13:00-14:30)
- IMS Hall
- Mrs. Chiharu Takenaka (Professor of Rikkyo University law department)
Public Lecture by Prof. Partha Chatterjee was held in IMS Hall on September 20, and he introduced his idea and thought on his specialized field in his lecture, talks with panelists.
Public Lecture by MIKI Minoru
- The Musical World of Minoru Miki
- September 20, (16:00-18:30)
- Fukuoka Bank Hall
- Mr. Tomoaki Fujii (Ｉnternational Manager of culture research institute, professor emeritus at national Museum of Mankind)
The World of Minoru Miki brought together the koto club of Chikushi Jogakuen High School, RKB Female Choir, traditional Japanese musical instrument performers and opera singers. Mr. Miki, a leader in modern Japanese music, served as the moderator for two-and-a-half hours of diverse, new and fascinating Japanese music.
Public Lecture by CAI Guo-Qiang
- Art : What can it do?
- September 16, 2009
- ACROS Fukuoka Event Hall
- Mr. Masahiro Ushiroshoji (Professor, Graduate School of Humanities, Kyushu University)
- Guest Speaker
- Mr. Yoichi Maki (Professor, Faculty of Liberal Arts, Saitama University)
- Guest Speaker
- Mr. Raiji Kuroda(Director, Curatorial Section, Fukuoka Asian Art Museum)
Cai Guo-Qiang discussed the diverse potentials of art while introducing some of his works and projects that have drawn much acclaim around the world. As with his artwork, his talk also captivated the audience.