The Shadow Play as Medium of Memory
- The Shadow Play as Medium of Memory
Written by Andreas Huyssen, the publication features the artworks by Nalini Malani, the 2013 Arts and Culture Prize laureate and fellow artist William Kentridge.
- Author / Nalini MALANI (featuring artist)
- Publisher / Charta
- Release Date / August 2013
- Hardcover / 80 pages
- Written by / Andreas Huyssen
- Featuring artists / Nalini Malani, William Kentridge
- Language / English
- ISBN / 978-88-8158-875-6
Both artists have captured the essence of historical traumas – India’s Partition for Malani and South Africa’s Apartheid for Kentridge - and utilized shadow play as a medium of historical memory. Their intention is not merely to portray traumatic pasts, but to create an instrument to recognize the past from a new perspective.