We've attempted to answer many of our users' commonly asked questions. Please refer to the FAQs and other information before you Contact Us.
FAQs about Events
- Are the parking lots available for visitors to attend the award ceremony?
Parking lots at the venue are unavailable when the award ceremony is held. There are several metered parking spaces around the venue, and visitors are encouraged to use public transportation.
- I sent an application form, but I haven't received any reply from the committee yet.
When submitting your application, an automatic application confirmation message will be immediately sent to you from the Fukuoka Prize Committee. If you didn’t receive any reply message, there may be a few reasons;
- Check your spam folder to see if your e-mail program or e-mail provider is filtering out our e-mails
- Incorrect mail address or spam-blocking function of mobile phones (which restricts incoming e-mails only from designated domains or e-mail addresses) might have caused the error
In most cases, the applications are successfully made even if the applicants don’t receive the confirmation mails. Please call the toll-free phone number before you try to complete the application again.
- I applied for the award ceremony, but I have not yet received the entry ticket(s).
The entrance ticket(s) for the event will be mailed to the address provided at the time of the application. In case you do not receive the ticket(s) one week prior to the event, please call the toll-free phone number (Japanese only).
- Can I take photo during the ceremony?
No, only media and a limited number of our staffs are allowed to take photo during the Award Ceremony.
- As I plan to attend the ceremony, I would like to know if there is any dress code.
There is no dress code for the ceremony. However, most of the invited guests are expected to dress formally with neckties and jackets. We recommend comfortable clothing appropriate for a professional setting.
As we have central heating system installed, we may not be able to control air condition in part. While some seats may seem colder then others, you may want to bring something to keep yourself warm, e.g. shawl or scarf.
FAQs about Nominations
- I've unexpectedly received a nomination request letter. What should I do?
The Fukuoka Prize was established in 1990 through the collaboration among academia, businesses, and the Fukuoka City for the purpose of promoting and understanding the distinctive cultures of Asia, as well as contributing to peace.
Since its inception, many distinguished individuals have been awarded. Previous laureates include Mr. Donald Keen, a noted scholar of Japanese literature and culture, Mr. Muhammad Yunus who received the Nobel Peace Prize, and Mr. Mo yan who also received the Nobel Literature Prize afterward.
The Fukuoka Prize Committee widely welcomes nominations from members of academic societies and associations, arts and cultural organizations, and the media.
Nominators are selected based on the recommendations by current nominators or by information from academic journals or website of relevant institutions.
We are requesting nominations from you because of your deep knowledge and great contribution in your field.
We would like to ask for your kind cooperation on the recommendation of candidates when you receive a letter of nomination request. (Please refer to the Nomination Guidelines when nominating a candidate.)
- I want to know the reason why the person I recommended did not receive the Prize.
Please be advised that the evaluation and selection process is completely confidential.
- Will the document be returned to the nominator at the end of the selection process?
Please be advised that all the documents submitted to the committee will not be returned to the nominators.
- What if there is no appropriate candidate for a given year?
We welcome your recommendation in any given year when you have any individual or organization you wish to nominate. Even in the case you are not making any nomination, we appreciate your response if your e-mail or postal address has changed.
- Is self-nomination possible?
We can accept all nominations other than self-nominations. Please note, self-nomination is not permitted.
As for the nominating conditions, please refer to our Special instructions, which helps your better understanding in our nominating scheme, conditions and selection criteria.
- I want to know who owns the copyrights of the photos and images on your website.
The copyrights to all text, images, photographs, and all other information contained in this website belong to the Fukuoka Prize Committee unless specifically stated otherwise. If you want to use on your website any photo or image appearing on this website, please add the copyright notice, “©Fukuoka Prize Committee” (not “© Fukuoka City”) to the photo image.
Please also put the name of the laureate, title of the work, production year, and country (where created) under each image of the laureate’s artwork taken from this website.