Individuals/groups are eligible candidates for all the prizes below.
To be presented to individual/group who has made outstanding contributions to the preservation and creation of Asian culture and have exhibited the significance of Asian culture to the world through the internationality, universality, popularity and/or creativity of their work.
- Prize money: 5,000,000 yen
- *The Grand Prize will be selected by the Fukuoka Prize Jury from among all the candidates nominated for Academic Prize and Arts and Culture Prize.
To be presented to individuals/groups that have made outstanding achievements in the field of Asian studies, contributing to the world's understanding of Asia. It covers the fields of social sciences, such as history, archaeology, cultural anthropology, economics, and political science.
- Prize money: 3,000,000 yen
Arts and Culture Prize
To be presented to individuals/groups that have made outstanding contributions in the cultivation and/or advancement of the unique and diverse arts and culture of Asia. It covers the fields such as fine arts, literature, music, drama, dance, film, architecture, traditional and ethnic culture.
- Prize money: 3,000,000 yen
East Asia, South Asia, and Southeast Asia
* The term "Asia" here implies areas including East Asia, South Asia, and Southeast Asia (any regions located to the east of Pakistan).
- East Asia(8 countries, Special Administrative Region, district)
- People's Republic of China, Japan, Republic of Korea, North Korea (Democratic People's Republic of Korea), Mongolia, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan
- South Asia(11 countries)
- Brunei Darussalam, Kingdom of Cambodia, Republic of Indonesia, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Malaysia、Union of Myanmar, Republic of the Philippines, Republic of Singapore, Kingdom of Thailand, Socialist Republic of Viet Nam, The Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste
- Southeast Asia (7 countries)
- People's Republic of Bangladesh, Kingdom of Bhutan, India, Republic of Maldives, Federal Democratic Republic of Nepa, Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka
Over 7,000 eligible nominators from academic societies, associations, arts and cultural organizations, and media, in and outside Japan are invited for nominations. Below represents some of our eligible nominators.
- Faculty members of universities
- Members of academic societies and associations
- Representatives / members of art and cultural organizations
- Those in the news media, publishing businesses
- Laureates of distinguished Award or Prize
- Others who the Secretariat finds appropriate
We also accept recommendations from other nominators. However, such nominations are valid only when the Secretariat finds the nominator in line with the organizations listed above.
- Individuals/groups are eligible candidates for all the prizes
- Please nominate candidates for Academic Prize and Arts or Culture Prize respectively. The Grand Prize will be selected by the Fukuoka Prize Jury from among all the candidates nominated for both categories
- One nominator can make a maximum of 2 nominations for each category "Academic Prize" and "Arts and Cultre Prize"
- The nominations should only be made for living persons
- Self-nomination is not permitted
- The nationality of candidates is not limited to the Asian region.(Note: the subject of candidate's interest is limited to the Asian region)
- Members of Fukuoka Prize Committee, The Prize Jury and Selection Committees may not submit nominations.
* We would like you to refer to FAQs about Nominations, which helps your better understanding in our nominating scheme, conditions and selection criteria.
- Your nominations for those from the younger generation, who have made outstanding achievements in their respective fields and at the same time whose great contributions are further expected in the future, would be most welcomed.
- Nominators are expected to seek candidates not only within their home region, but also from abroad.