Every other year in July, the Fukuoka Prize Committee seeks nominations from eligible nominators of academic societies and associations, arts and cultural organizations, and the media from Japan and abroad, especially regions from Asia.
Two-year Nomination Cycle
We invite nominations every other year and the nominations remain active for a period of two years. For example, nominations submitted by invited nominators in the year 2015 will be subject to selection for the Fukuoka Prize 2016 and 2017.
Although nominators are only invited to submit nominations every other year (see Two-year Nomination Cycle), we also accept additional recommendations in the second year of the Two-year Nomination Cycle.
Timeline of Nomination
Two-year Nomination Cycle / We invite nominations every other year and the nominations remain active for a period of two years.
Additional Recommendation / we also accept additional recommendations in the second year of the Two-year Nomination Cycle.
- Late September
- Deadline for the submission of nomination.
- September - December
- Preliminary documents of the nominated candidates are prepared by the Secretariat.
- Late January - Early February
- Selection meetings for the Academic Prize and the Arts and Culture Prize are held to shortlist the most likely candidates.
- Late March
- The Fukuoka Prize Jury meeting is held to make a final informal decision on the prize winners upon consideration on their achievements and deliberation in a comprehensive manner.
- Early June
- The prize winners are officially acknowledged by the Prize Committee. A press conference in Fukuoka is held on the same day.
Address / Deadline
Deadline : October 31, 2016
Please send the completed form(s) either by e-mail, fax, or in the enclosed envelope.
We highly appreciate submission of nominee’s profile, such as academic and professional backgrounds, awards, publications, articles and other activities, along with the nomination form(s), that will act as reference during the selection.
Nomination Form can be downloaded from the button below. Please choose either Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF version.
- Address :
- Secretariat of the Fukuoka Prize Committee
- c/o International Affairs Dept., General Affairs & Planning Bureau, Fukuoka 810-8620 Japan
- FAX :
- E-mail :
- Please fill in the attached nomination form in either English or Japanese.
- All the documents submitted to the committee will not be returned to the nominators.
- The committee will not respond to any inquiries during the selection process.
- As for the information on the nominees the committee shall keep its confidentiality.
- Nominators are requested to keep their nominations confidential.