Individuals and groups are eligible candidates for all the prizes below. We do not accept any nomination for Grand Prize.
To be presented to individuals/groups that have made outstanding achievements in the field of Asian studies, contributing to the world's understanding of Asia. It covers the fields of social sciences, such as history, archaeology, anthropology, economics, and political science.
Arts and Culture Prize
To be presented to individuals/groups that have made outstanding contributions in the cultivation and/or advancement of the unique and diverse arts and culture of Asia. It covers the fields such as fine arts, literature, music, drama, dance, film(such as movies), architecture, traditional and ethnic culture.
East Asia, South Asia, and Southeast Asia
* As long as the candidate's research relates to Asia, it does not require the candidates to be from Asia.
East Asia(8 countries, Special Administrative Region, district)
People's Republic of China, Japan, Republic of Korea, North Korea (Democratic People's Republic of Korea), Mongolia, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan
Southeast Asia(11 countries)
Brunei Darussalam, Kingdom of Cambodia, Republic of Indonesia, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Union of Myanmar, Republic of the Philippines, Republic of Singapore, Kingdom of Thailand, Socialist Republic of Viet Nam, The Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste
South Asia(7 countries)
People's Republic of Bangladesh, Kingdom of Bhutan, India, Republic of Maldives, Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal, Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka
- The nominators of Fukuoka Prize are individuals applicable to either of the following categories. We appreiciate their understanding of the purpose of the Prize as well as their support for achieving these goals.
- Members of academic insitutions
- Faculty members of universities
- Members of academic societies and associations
- Representatives / members of distinquished art and cultural organizations
- Those in the reknown news media, publishing businesses
- Laureates of distinguished Award or Prize
- Others who the Secretariat finds appropriate
We also accept recommendations from other nominators. However, nominations are not valid when the Secretariat finds the nominator is not in line with the organizations listed above and we will not accept these nominations.
The nomination can be made for both Individuals and groups. The individual has to be a live person.
- Please nominate candidates for Academic Prize and Arts or Culture Prize respectively. Grand Prize will be selected by the Fukuoka Prize Jury from among all the candidates nominated for both categories.
- One nominator can make a maximum of 2 nominations for each category "Academic Prize" and "Arts and Cultre Prize".
- Self-nomination is not permitted.
- The nationality of candidates is not limited to the Asian region. Note: the subject of candidate's academic research, as well as the origin of candidate's contribution to artistic or cultural education and development, is limited to the Asian region.
- Members of Fukuoka Prize Committee, The Prize Jury and Selection Committees cannot submit nominations.
- Individuals and organizations listed below also cannot be nominated;-
∙ Members of Fukuoka Prize Committee, The Prize Jury and Selection Committees
∙ Fukuoka City municipal office staff and staff of Fukuoka City International Foundation
∙ Any organizations belong to Fukuoka City and Fukuoka City International Foundation
* We would like you to refer to FAQs about Nominations for more information.
- Your nominations for those from the younger generation, who have made outstanding achievements in their respective fields and at the same time whose great contributions are further expected in the future, would be most welcomed.
- Nominators are encouraged to seek candidates not only within their home region, but also from abroad.